Friday 30 January 2015

ORAL HISTOLOGY - TOOTH DEVELOPMENT

Drawing Oral histology diagrams are perhaps the most challenging task for undergraduate students. having seen the difficulty my students have experienced through the last 20 years I have decided to draw and post the diagrams usually required. Those who have worked with me or were taught by me know that I am not a very artistic person. I have always relied more on the science than art of dentistry and its subjects. As such these diagrams only aim to be scientifically accurate and not aesthetically perfect.
Dear students , I do hope the diagrams will ease the burden of drawing the diagrams and help you  understand the subject better. I plan to post one diagram at a time so wait for the rest. Please leave your comments and let me know if you find the diagram helpful.

Happy learning

Mandana Donoghue


TOOTH DEVELOPMENT- BUD STAGE

BUD STAGE OF TOOTH DEVELOPMENT


A- Oral Epithelium consisting of stratified Squamous Epithelium
 
B - Dental Lamina- a band like thickening of the oral epithelium along each future dental arch that grows into the ectomesenchyme.
 
C- Vestibular lamina- another band of epithelium that  develops buccal or labial to the dental lamina. It's cells multiply rapidly and are lost in the center, hollowing out the band and forming the future vestibule.

E- Tooth Bud- The round or ovoid swellings seen at ten sites along each dental lamina,

    1- Low columnar basal cells.
    2- Polygonal cells
    3- Ectomesenchymal condensation (around the epithelial proliferation)

D- Developing mandible


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

5 comments:

  1. Ma'm, It is very useful. Keep going.
    Dr Faraz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr.Faraz, colleagues finding the picture useful is very encouraging.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with u mam.....making oral histology diagrams and getting them corrected by you ....was one of the daring task we used to do....nice intiative for learning...thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gatha , you are right, i have made students repeat diagrams often, I used to try and explain to my students ,
      after all these years I thought of placing the diagrams here for all students, I guess I owe to all of you and future students..

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing such interesting detailed information on ORAL HISTOLOGY DIAGRAMS. Our dentist offer quality treatment to the patients looking out for oral health and other dental services. In addition, blood sugar levels that are out of balance could lead to problems that promote cavities and gum disease.

    ReplyDelete